Professor Stan Skafidas
- Antenna technology
- Medical Biotechnology Diagnostics
- Medical Devices
- Microelectronics and Integrated Circuits
Professor Stan Skafidas, from the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, leads the Melbourne School of Engineering's research in nanoelectronics and is the Director for Centre for Neural Engineering.
Professor Skafidas received a PhD from The University of Melbourne in 1997. Before joining NICTA in 2004, he was Chief Technology Officer at Bandspeed (1998-2004), a company he cofounded, based in Austin Texas, which designed and manufactured semiconductor products for enterprise class wireless systems. At Bandspeed, Professor Skafidas co-invented Adaptive Frequency Hopping – an important standard component in Bluetooth devices. This technology has been incorporated in every Bluetooth product since ver 1.2. In 2014 alone, there were over 3 Billion devices sold incorporating this technology. Bandspeed was acquired by Broadcom
In 2008 a team led by Professor Skafidas developed the world's first completely integrated 60GHz transceiver on CMOS. A single chip wireless system that is able to deliver 5Gbps data rate at cost of approximately $1 whilst being only 5mm x 5mm in size. Professor Skafidas co-founded Nitero, the spin out company to commercialise this technology. Nitero received investment from leading venture funds such as Southern Cross Ventures and Austin Ventures. The technology and products based on this technology were the recipient of multiple industry awards including the 2015 CES Innovation award. The CES Innovation Awards is the premier international annual competition honoring outstanding design and engineering in consumer technology products. Today this technology and chipsets is enabling wireless virtual reality headsets and systems. In March 2017 Nitero was acquired by technology multinational Advanced Micro Devices (AMD).
In 2010 Professor Skafidas joined the University of Melbourne. In 2011 Professor Skafidas was appointed the Director of the Centre for Neural Engineering.
In November 2012, Professor Skafidas was elected as a Fellow to the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering (ATSE). Professor Skafidas is recognised for his vision, leadership and major technical accomplishments in industry, research institutions, academia and international standardisation committees. Adaptive frequency-hopping technology that he developed now forms a critical part of the Bluetooth standard and has been incorporated in several billion devices. His research in nano-electronics has advanced the disciplines of wireless communications, single chip radars and medical diagnostic systems.
- Asaduzzaman M, Bakaul M, Skafidas E, Khandokar M. A compact silicon grating coupler based on hollow tapered spot-size converter. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. Nature Publishing Group. 2018, Vol. 8, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-018-20875-3
- Abu-Akel A, Testa R, Jones H, Ross N, Skafidas E, Tonge B, Pantelis C. Attentional set-shifting and social abilities in children with schizotypal and comorbid autism spectrum disorders. AUSTRALIAN AND NEW ZEALAND JOURNAL OF PSYCHIATRY. Blackwell Science Asia. 2018, Vol. 52, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1177/0004867417708610
- Alshawaf AJ, Viventi S, Qiu W, D'Abaco G, Nayagam B, Erlichster M, Chana G, Everall I, Ivanusic J, Skafidas E, Dottori M. Phenotypic and Functional Characterization of Peripheral Sensory Neurons derived from Human Embryonic Stem Cells. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. Nature Publishing Group. 2018, Vol. 8, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-017-19093-0
- Nasr B, Chatterton R, Yong J, Jamshidi P, D'Abaco G, Bjorksten AR, Kavehei O, Chana G, Dottori M, Skafidas E. Self-organized nanostructure modified microelectrode for sensitive electrochemical glutamate detection in stem cells-derived brain organoids. Biosensors. MDPI AG. 2018, Vol. 8, Issue 1. DOI: 10.3390/bios8010014
- Klopper F, Testa R, Pantelis C, Skafidas E. A cluster analysis exploration of autism spectrum disorder subgroups in children without intellectual disability. RESEARCH IN AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDERS. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 36. DOI: 10.1016/j.rasd.2017.01.006
- Wang K, Song T, Liang T, Nirmalathas A, Lim C, Alameh K, Skafidas E. A Dual-Infrared-Transmitter Optical Wireless Based Indoor User Localization System with High Accuracy. 2017 OPTICAL FIBER COMMUNICATIONS CONFERENCE AND EXHIBITION (OFC). IEEE. 2017.
- Soraya G, Nguyen T, Abeyrathne C, Huynh D, Chan J, Nguyen P, Nasr B, Chana G, Kwan P, Skafidas E. A Label-Free, Quantitative Fecal Hemoglobin Detection Platform for Colorectal Cancer Screening. BIOSENSORS-BASEL. MDPI AG. 2017, Vol. 7, Issue 2. DOI: 10.3390/bios7020019
- Yong J, Hassan B, Liang Y, Ganesan K, Rajasekharan Unnithan R, Evans R, Egan G, Kavehei O, Li J, Chana G, Nasr B, Skafidas E. A Silk Fibroin Bio-Transient Solution Processable Memristor. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. Nature Publishing Group. 2017, Vol. 7, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-017-15395-5
- Jiang L, Marconcini P, Hossian MS, Qiu W, Evans R, MacUcci M, Skafidas E. A tight binding and (k)over-right-arrow . (p)over-right-arrow study of monolayer stanene. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. Nature Publishing Group. 2017, Vol. 7, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-017-12281-y
- Khandokar M, Bakaul M, Asaduzzaman M, Skafidas E, Nirmalathas A. Characterization of geometry and depleting carrier dependence of active silicon waveguide in tailoring optical properties. PHOTONICS RESEARCH. Optical Society of America. 2017, Vol. 5, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1364/PRJ.5.000305
- Asaduzzaman M, Bakaul M, Skafidas E, Khandokar M. Compact Silicon Photonic Grating Coupler With Dual-Taper Partial Overlay Spot-Size Converter. IEEE PHOTONICS JOURNAL. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1109/JPHOT.2017.2676340
- Wang K, Gao S, Wang Y, Nirmalathas A, Lim C, Alameh K, Li H, Skafidas E. Four-Wave-Mixing Based Silicon Integrated Optical Isolator with Dynamic Non-Reciprocity. 2017 CONFERENCE ON LASERS AND ELECTRO-OPTICS PACIFIC RIM (CLEO-PR). IEEE. 2017.
- Gao S, Wang Y, Wang K, Li H, Skafidas E. High-Efficiency Interlayer Coupler on Silicon Nitride. 2017 CONFERENCE ON LASERS AND ELECTRO-OPTICS PACIFIC RIM (CLEO-PR). IEEE. 2017.
- Wang K, Nirmalathas A, Lim C, Alameh K, Li H, Skafidas E. Indoor infrared optical wireless localization system with background light power estimation capability. OPTICS EXPRESS. Optical Society of America. 2017, Vol. 25, Issue 19. DOI: 10.1364/OE.25.022923
- Lee T, Skafidas E, Dottori M, Zantomio D, Pantelis C, Everall I, Chana G. No preliminary evidence of differences in astrocyte density within the white matter of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex in autism. MOLECULAR AUTISM. Biomed Central. 2017, Vol. 8. DOI: 10.1186/s13229-017-0181-5
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile